Friday, April 1, 2011

Illustration Friday: Duet

Hello, all.
I read the topic for this week's Illustration Friday and was happy because I felt that the piece that I am working on at the moment is a great fit.

Here is my interpretation of the moment when John Henry accepts the challenge to do battle with the steam hammer that he eventually defeats, but loses his life in the process.  I liked the idea of an arrogant, smug bureaucrat dismissing the notion that a mere man could defeat his machine.

I owe a lot of credit to several people for this image, including my colleague, Mr. Keith Taylor, who posed for the bureaucrat, as well as Al Rodriguez and several of my current students for their assistance as well.  The next step for the image is to add an environment as well as the machine that John Henry raced against.

I hope you enjoy your week.
Peace!!!

3 comments: