Friday, November 20, 2009

Ilustration Friday: Music














Hello, all.


I have several images dealing with music. I have an ongoing series of pieces related to Coffehouse Jazz, as it is very popular here in Greensboro. Between N.C. A&T State University, UNCG, and Greensboro College, there are several places that allow for practicing musicians to sit in for a set or two. The bulk of my observational drawings are made up from sitting in on these sessions and either sketching the musicians or the audience.

I was lucky enough to meet Paul Goodnight a few years back. He told me that artists and Jazz mucians have a lot in common, that while there is a steady rhythm to an image, an artist should look for ways to be improvisatoinal in the creation of his composition. Every since then, I have looked to Jazz as an inspiration to work from.

More to come.

Have a great week!

11 comments:

  1. These are really nice pieces. Great work

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've captured the mood of the places; you can hear the music!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your work is so off the chain mad crazy!! It's really beautiful! Very, very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, all.
    Shannon, I appreciate the compliments. Are you from Australia, or just going to school there? Great work, BTW.
    Thanks, Indi. Nice to hear from you again.
    Vanessa, that is so nice of you to say. I may want to pick your brain about how to get started in the biz, if that's okay.
    Thanks again, guys.
    PEACE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! I can almost feel the vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pieces! Dig the drummer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully illustrated pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, all.
    Thanks for the kind words and compliments.
    Peace!
    Steve Cozart

    ReplyDelete
  9. these are absoultely wonderful! great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THese are wonderful illustrations! I especially like the one of the scroll/pegbox and the one of the drummer.

    ReplyDelete