Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Final Process



Hello, all.


Well, this is the part that usually goes pretty quick, although I have not had a lot of time to focus on the piece in the last few days.


What you see are layers of colored pencil. I try to limit my palette as much as possible, sticking with white, several cool grays, a few blues, flesh tones, sienna, and umber. I use these to build forms and value transitions, along with local colors when necessary.


I feel a need to also point out some product choices here. To the left, you see Rustoleum Clear Finish Spray Paint (matte), Liquitex Basics Gesso, and Koh-I Noor Woodless Color Pencils.


All of these 'discoveries' came from the necessity of being cheap. When I learned the original technique from Alex Bostic (an instructor at Virginia Commonwealth University), I went with the cheapest stuff I could find. I found that when I used the Rustoleum, it had a very grainy finish. A bit aggressive, but it can be lightly sanded back. As for the Basics Gesso, it is student grade (not as high quality as the artist's grade), but I like the tooth of it much better for graphite drawing.


Last but not least, I tried the Koh-I-Noor colored pencils because a set of 24 was only 13 bucks (and with my 40% off cupon...wow!!). I find that they are much richer than the industry standard, Prismacolor. There are only two drawbacks. First, the palette of the woodless pencils is only 24 colors. Prismacolor has them beat on that front, hands down. Second, because they are woodless (basically a big chunk of pencil coated with lacquer), they are fragile. I can't tell you how many I've ruined by being clumsy.

So, there you have it. Next, the final finished image.

Have a great week!

3 comments:

  1. It's comin along great Steve- er Mr. Cozart! Resist the peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny about the pencils - but doesn't it feel great when you discover something like that? Like you beat the system! =) Thank you for posting these progressions. Your detailed work is very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, all.
    Thanks for the compliments. They are really appreciated.
    Mr. Rodriguez, the peace is resisted!!!
    JCD, I really want to write the company and tell them to make more colors... I have yet to find an artist that uses colored pencils that has not tried them and liked them.
    Finished product will be posted this weekend.

    ReplyDelete